For most people out there, the location for growing a giant pumpkin is usually any old place, where it is out of the way, or where there is spare space to put it. Which is fine, and is what I have done in the past, but what happens if you have a choice.
Things to think about when putting in a pumpkin patch
Making the choice of where to put your patch comes down to checking out a few things
- Does the area get good sunlight
- Is it protected from wind
- Can I let the pumpkin grow there for the whole season, or do I need that space for something else
- Is it out of the way of animals
- Is it easy to get to for tending and for transport at the end of the season
- Is there a water supply nearby
- Is the location good at growing other things
As you can see there is a few things to think about, one that I have come across myself is, are you going to be in that location for the whole season. In my case I didn’t know I would be moving house mid season, which was a pain, but if you do know you are moving later on, is there any point in starting to grow?
So have a think about where you want to plant for this hers season, good planning at the start will pay off at the end of the season. Here is a video of me talking about where I am going to be putting my patch, and why I have chosen that spot.
And with the magic of the computer, here is a basic plan of what I am going to try and do with this area.
Later on in the season, I will talk about prepping the ground, and covering soil testing